|Back to Back Issues Page|
The Healthy Family Meals Newsletter, Issue #43 -- Wild West BBQ Summer Party Theme
August 03, 2006
Welcome! Learn How to Combine Healthy Recipes with Family Adventure!
If you are receiving your first issue of the Healthy Family Mealtime Makeover -- Thanks for signing up! I hope you learn a new nutrition and wellness tip each week.
To receive your complimentary e-book that I have written on how to get your family excited about eating breakfast, download Breakfast and Brunches FREE!
I hope you are enjoying your summer and finding time for new adventures....
We have talked about healthy grilling and getting into the great outdoors -- why not consider hosting a summer party in your own backyard; invite another family over and enjoy an old-fashioned BBQ -- ideas are listed below!!
Write-in and let me know how it went -- send a picture and I'll post it in the next newsletter so all of us can enjoy your success.
Look for more party theme ideas for your family or teenager to try in a brand new F.I.T Cookbook & Party Planner ebook to be released soon on the website.....
Try the easy recipe below:
RECIPE OF THE WEEK
Two recipes are listed below for the Wild West party theme....
Quick BBQ Chicken or Ribs
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place either 6 spareribs or 6 pieces of chicken in a baking dish. Spread 2-3 teaspoons of olive or canola oil on the bottom of the dish.
3. Buy bottled BBQ sauce seasoned according to your taste and pour over and cover meat completely. Cook for at least 20-25 minutes until meat can easily be separated from the bone when poked with a fork.
4. Meat can also be cooked on an outside grill.
5. Serves 6.
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup confectioners sugar
2 sticks butter, melted
2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 large egg, slightly beaten
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9 x 12 inch baking pan.
Sift the flour and confectioners’ sugar into a bowl. Add the melted butter, blend, and press the mixture into the pan.
Bake the flour mixture for 20 minutes, or until it is just beginning to turn golden. While the crust is baking, combine the sugar, baking powder, eggs, lemon juice, and lemon peel in a bowl.
Pour the sugar mixture over the warm crust, and bake it for 25 more minutes.
Cool the pastry on a rack. Cut into squares, and chill.
Before serving, sprinkle the lemon squares with confectioner’s sugar. Store them in an airtight container. Makes 16 squares.
Summer Party Theme:
WILD WILD WEST BARBEQUE
• BBQ CHICKEN OR RIBS
• BAKED POTATOES
• CORN ON THE COB
• TOSSED SALAD & DRESSING
• LEMON SQUARES
(Prep according to expected attendance)
□ 6-8 pieces of chicken or spareribs
□ BBQ sauce
□ 6 baking potatoes
□ 1 stick of butter
□ Sour cream
□ 1 dozen ears of corn
□ 1 bag of tossed salad mix
□ Bottle of salad dressing
□ Ingredients for lemon squares
Set-up for the party:
1. Borrow karaoke equipment and have a country music karaoke contest.
2. You may want to try square dancing to get your guests in the mood for the western theme dinner.
3. Gather the group and roast marshmallows over a campfire as a way to end the evening.
4. Send out the invitation wrapped in a bandanna that you can purchase at the dollar store and tell your friends to wear the bandanna to the party to make a western style outfit.
What will your family do for healthier MEALTIMES?
Celebrating Healthy Families 2006
I want to continue to offer an excellent resource in 2006 that will help you save thousands of dollars on GROCERY SHOPPING!
Meet Lana Dorazio whom I consider an "expert" grocery shopper. She has developed a grocery shopping system that you can learn too.
Thanks for reading and have a great week!
Kindy --Your Family Dietitian
Copyright (c) 2006, https://www.healthy-kid-recipes.com
|Back to Back Issues Page|