Back to Back Issues Page
The Healthy Family Meals Newsletter, Issue #150 Prepare for a Healthy Holiday Season
December 07, 2011


Welcome! Learn How to Combine Healthy Recipes with Family Adventure!


If you are receiving your first issue of Healthy Family Mealtimes -- Thanks for signing up! I hope you learn new ways to grow a healthy family and be part of the fight against child obesity with every newsletter.

To receive your complimentary e-book that I have written on how to get your family excited about eating breakfast, download Breakfast and Brunches FREE!


Kindy's Musings....

+50 Healthy Holiday Tips

Here are the top 10 tips to change how your family eats this holiday season. Click on the link below to read all 50+ healthy tips!

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail! This is never more true than during the holiday season!

The best time to start preparing for a healthy holiday season is now! The more energy and clarity you have prior to the holiday season, the less likely you are to fall prey to advertisers, food pushers and well meaning (but unhealthy) relatives.

1. Make a decision today to take control of your health and don’t allow others to blindly lead you to poor health.

2. Start every morning with prayer, meditation and journaling at least 5 things you are grateful for. Focusing on what you are grateful for actually alters brain chemistry!

3. Serve others who are less fortunate than yourself. Get your family involved a community service project. This will usually do wonders for shifting the focus from gluttony to thoughtfulness and gratitude.

4. Be an example to those you love.

5. Break your sugar addiction prior to the holidays so you will be less likely to fall victim to gorging on sweet “death” traps.

6. Eliminate simple carbs, sugar, pasta, bread, white rice and white potatoes immediately. For most people it takes about 3 days to kill the craving for sugar. For some of you, it can take a couple of weeks.

7. To help eliminate the craving for sugar during your “detox” phase:

* increase your water intake

* eat LOTS of fresh vegetables

* Never allow yourself to become too hungry. Eat 4 or 5 small meals throughout the day.

* Don’t go more than 3 hours without some protein. Protein increases satiety.

* Eat small amounts of healthy fat from avocados, nuts and seeds throughout the day. This also increases satiety.

* Eliminate fried fats, trans fats and most animal fats. They contain toxic material.

* Drink green drinks such as wheat grass or “green cocktails,” but avoid the fruit in them.

* Minimize fruit intake for two weeks (no more than one piece each day).

8. Have 70% of your daily diet consist of whole, living foods including raw or lightly cooked vegetables, fruit, raw nuts and seeds. The other 30% can be “concentrated” or cooked foods such as lean protein, whole grains and starchy vegetables.

9. Always plan ahead and have an ice chest prepared with healthy, nutritious food.

10. Have one day each week that you prepare some short cuts for your week. If you are busy, this can help you and your children make healthier choices.

* Boil a dozen eggs so they are ready to grab for your ice chest. They are also a great snack for your kids.

* Chop up vegetables and fruit a couple days each week and keep them in an air-tight container- ready to snack on.

* Prepare a couple healthy treats for the family, so they don’t cheat during weak moments. I usually try to have some “Goji Nut Truffles” or “Avocado Gelato” in the freezer.

Source: Tana Amen from the Daniel Plan

Read More Healthy Holiday Tips



Read the latest nutrition news on growing healthy kids with the link below:

Children's Book Uses Four Letter Word - DIET


HIGH ENERGY BREAKFAST SHAKE

If you don't know what to serve for breakfast over the holidays ...

A quick-and-easy, nutritious and delicious addition to your day. What a great way to start your morning!

Ingredients and Instructions:

Prep and Cook Time: 5 minutes

* 1 medium banana

* 1/2 cup whole strawberries

* 1-1/2 cup low-fat milk

* 2-1/2 TBS almond butter

* 2 TBS ground flaxseeds

* 1-1/2 TBS blackstrap molasses

Directions:

1. Blend all ingredients until smooth.

Serves 2

Source: www.whfoods.org



What will your family do for healthier MEALTIMES?

Celebrating Healthy Families 2011



REDISTRIBUTION POLICY
I encourage you to forward this newsletter to your friends, other parents, and colleagues for their review and enjoyment. However, please do so only by sending it in full, thereby keeping the copyright and subscription information intact.
Also, if you wish to post this newsletter to a newsgroup or electronic discussion group, you may do so if you preserve the copyright and subscription information.


Thanks for reading and have a great week!

Kindy --Your Family Dietitian


Copyright (c) 2010, http://www.healthy-kid-recipes.com

Back to Back Issues Page